EHSAS Press Release | COVID-19 Outbreak in Europe
The European Healthcare Students’ Associations’ Summit (EHSAS) has been closely following and monitoring the news around the outbreak of COVID-19.
The recent developments regarding the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) raise a number of challenges concerning the future of our society, including for healthcare students and the professions we are to become part of. As COVID-19 represents a global threat and was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO), we, as representatives of European healthcare students, want to address this issue. The pandemic is already widely impacting healthcare education across Europe, including educational continuity, curricula opportunities, clinical training, the mobility of students and their educators, as well as their mental health. According to data published by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, the coronavirus crisis is now impacting close to 20% of the students worldwide.
Thus, EHSAS calls for action:
- Ensure students do not face prolongation of studies due to restricted access to educational and practical activities in their curricula;
- Ensure students’ education via online platforms, including remote learning;
- Ensure the safety of healthcare students at all times;
- Ensure students can access mental health support in times of self-isolation and reduced personal contact;
- Ensure possibilities for healthcare students to be trained in an appropriate and safe manner in order to assist in tackling the COVID-19 crisis;
- Guarantee efficient communication between relevant educational institutions and students, including for Erasmus and foreign students;
- Ensure students are promptly informed of any changes to examinations and have a clear understanding of how as well as when examinations are going to be held;
- Ensure students have clarity about the structural changes in the academic year;
- Ensure financial support for students who may be financially disadvantaged in the short-to-medium term.
The European Healthcare Students’ Associations’ Summit (EHSAS) is formed by the European Dental Students’ Association (EDSA), the European Federation of Psychology Students’ Associations (EFPSA), the European Medical Students’ Association (EMSA) and the European Pharmaceutical Students’ Association (EPSA).
Link to the official EHSAS Press Release: EHSAS Press Release – COVID-19
For more information, please email Ying Wai Cheung at firstname.lastname@example.org